The Oregon Coastal Forest

The Oregon Coastal Forest

I have started a 4th Photo Book.   This volume will be my interpretation of the Oregon Coastal Forest.   I spend a lot of time exploring the forests that  are along the full length of the Oregon Coast.   I  take the paths less traveled, from logging roads, to Elk paths.

I have a little un-modified Jeep Cherokee that gets me to most places I want to go, and those I can't I'm happy to pack my gear and hike In.  The Oregon Coastal Forest is magical, mystical and mysterious.  I try to go into the forest in all kinds of weather, different times a day, and all the seasons.  My goal as an artist, as always, is to Invite you to feel what I see.  This new volume will have images spanning about 10 years.  I usually go in alone as being in the Coastal Forest is kind of a Zen thing for me. However I do have a close special friend or two that travel with me sometimes.  It IS fun to share my exploring with someone special., when I'm walking within the Coastal Forest,  I may not get very far, as when I'm hiking in, I will just stop, sit on a log or rock and just sit there and watch the light, listen to the sounds and experience the Forest and not just capture it.   Become part of the Forest by just sitting still and immersing yourself into the world around you.  This does wonders for my composition and eventual image captures,  as most of the time when you hike, you are looking forward, and miss various views of something.  I try to stop a just do a few 360 degree turns to see if I missed the back side of something or a different view.  Sitting still even for 15 minutes you see the light change, with the movement of clouds or the shadows of branched moved by the wind.  

One of my favorite times to explore the Coastal Forest is right after a rain when the canopies of trees are still shaking off rain.  If you are lucky enough to have the sun make an appearance glow and sparkle of the Forest will take your breath away.  During rainy season the paths and backroads can be a challenge that's why I like my little SUV to get me in deeper so I can start my walk already deep in.  Here is a picture of the SUV that I use, pretty standard, but it gets me in deep where I want to go.to grab unique images


So this new book will be these images I spend time to capturing.  For those who can't get into the woods or live in other places I hope these images help you feel what I see when trekking through the magical land.     Here is a rough draft of the next book cover.   Not sure if I'm going to use this one, but gives you an idea of what I'm thinking.  The image on the mock up was from one of the backroads I follow into the Coastal Forest. 

I hope to have this volume done in a few weeks so it will also make a nice gift. 

Thanks for reading :) 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey

Oregon Coastal Forest books are Live